20 August 2018

Fender Telecaster 1978


I have been pondering about whether I should post this work done 3 years ago. The content could invite uproar from all professional luthiers and purist. But still 3 years withholding this evidence would not guarantee the safety my reputation. I know anything I publish here can or will be use against me, so yes, what the hell. I'll post this now anyway. From how I see it, we all can go to heaven.



This poor thing was brought to me is such state depicted on the pictures above and below this paragraph. I couldn't imagine what was done to it prior. Somebody must've used a berus dawai (in English?) to imprint his version of relic work. It just my initial impression. I think this 1978 Telecaster must've probably spent some years in a reban ayam (chicken coop) before being rescued by a good samaritan. At best, it had laid a good while under a fridge in someone kitchen.



The client wanted me to refret it, replace only broken tuners and fix up the electronics. The client requirement was to have it working proper again. No king of restoration ideas or any overzealous attempt. Good enough as I will not bite more than I can chew.



I told him I'm up for all the mentioned request except for one. Almost everyone (now everyone) in Malaysia knows that I don't refret maple fingerboard. Those few neck I did in past are just terribly below luthiers standard. You will know it's my work when you see that it has orange peel lacquer on the fingerboard but not the fretwork because there's where I put my highest effort on. Do not mistake one work with the other.



The client was satisfied with my humble honesty and gave the go ahead.


Overall checks
I'm basing this by memory and on bench pictures. I will not sugar coat it. Let’s begin, yes, its jovial filthy inside as it is outside. The pots and switch were scratchy. Suspected faulty may not be broken. Both pickups has sound on my amp. Not sure if it's true sound or just sound. The metal parts has some oxidation. Definitely not maybe. The skunk strip behind the neck was loose at the 3rd and 4th position. The NC on the neck had mostly gone and on the fingerboard had become flaky. There's dirt, grime and daki manusia (in english?) in the wood pores. The body back and side stock paint seems good only dirty. I couldn't give you its actual finish code. I do not know. It looks peanut butter mixed with kaya to me with milk tea (non pulled) on the bench.




  The work
First thing I did during dis-assembly was registered myself in TDPRI. I thought I ask tele historian over there about this Tele original Finnish and hear (read) their opinion about this project. Whatever reply I got over there, I'd took them with a grain of salt.
The pots and switch looked inviting to be replaced but I decided to give it my benefit of a doubt. I clean them as gently and thoroughly instead. The carbon track look to have some life. Not potholes or low spots along it. It turn out alright in the end. The pots and switch looks 20 years younger now. The whole gentle overhaul process made me felt like working in CTS/CRL custom shop (is there such a thing?). Good training for my butterfingers too.


Next was the fretwork and prepare for the shock. Well you all know my fretwork standard is 2 or 3 out 10. Nothing out of the ordinary for me to share here. I had used Minwax Wipe-On poly over the ever elusive, mysterious and hard to find NC. Don't worry I didn't do headstock surface. It was fine.


 The body and prepare for another shock.
Firstly I'm not the person task for the obvious work and I was not under duress to do anything on it or worst I was never ask to anything about it. But truthfully I can't let it leave looking like it just came out off another (my) reban ayam. I did the un honourable. I took my orbital sander scuffing as much scratch mark on the front. I was trying to hold my tears while raping the Tele body. Not because I was sad doing it but because there were dust was everywhere. I did the task guided by every sandpaper and soapy water trick in YouTube and forum. Oh speaking of forum. I'm not going back there to show them this. It'll be suicide to do so. By now I knew my post there has gone several pages behind. Let them find this on their own. Don't any of you bump it you hear. Hehe

Conclusion.
 A lot can be learn from these old guitars such as the actual parts used. The original machine heads were Schaller Germany not Hanchang (today sold as genuine Fender parts). I have nothing against Hanchang Korea but at least now we know the AVRI now do not spot the exact spec as on our grandfather 1978 Tele. If that means a lot or anything to anyone. However some may try to pitch this 78 against a Custom Shop exact replica. But before one tries attempt that, just make sure which candidate is sent to the finals. Is it going be The 2018/78 pristine Custom shop or the 2018/78 closet custom shop or a 2018/78 Relic as hell Custom shop? I wouldn't dare to commentate such a match. I leave that to you as I'm never a guitar builder myself.


Soon after it left my workshop. I heard rumors that it had changed hands. How many hands? I don't know. Whether it's because of my profound disdain work or its undeniable intrinsic value? I will never know. To its current owner who ever you are and where ever you are. Know this. I only did all I could to resurrect this Tele back into today's society. Wherever this guitar is right now I just hope it still serving the owner like it did couple hours before it left my workshop 3 years ago. Do forgive whatever ugliness that was done by these hands for I'm not a professional master builder.


Tried
yustech



No comments: