1 November 2018

Ibanez JS1000BSB


This I believe is the third or fourth JS series I have encountered for servicing.Being a signature series I normally would anticipate a general setup work. I think it's safe to assume all flagship guitar model would have the all-out attention to detail. What more a signature series. So we thought sir.


However, I'm going to share some odd findings in this JS Series. In fact they are above my un-luthery understanding. I’m not good with technical guitar jargon. I hope all written below is within your grasp of comprehension and common sense.
First things first, the serial number or age must not be look as measure of mileage. The frets is the first area to look for any signs of wear. On this one it is as good as new. The height is terribly worse than a GIO but nothing a trus rod turn couldn’t fix. As soon as the height lowered. Fret buzz and dead notes appeared at many places worse than a GIO. The fingerboard has many random hump and low spot unlike a GIO. . No wonder the high action prior. Ibanez no do proper neck drying and fret dressing? I did some random fret leveling. Most of it after 12th to 22nd fret. Its much cheaper than a re-fret or a GIO. Its condition after is okay than a GIO provided with some beguess and begosh trus rod turning. As mentioned earlier it has some fucking Ibanez proprietary invisible scallop and hump. Those are normally found on Wang Hung Low guitars. Is fret buzz and dead spot the new thing now? The Edge Pro bridge here is evidence that this JS have remain in its hard case most of the time. Under normal usage those saddles would have rotten to the bone. Thumbs up Ibanez hard case, the only thing that is better to a GIO soft-case.

The neck and body has more appalling tale. While doing setup, I kept failing to get ample optimum tremolo free play, height and good string angle. From playing side the neck looks buried deeper into the body. I know the problem is in there somewhere. After looking at the neck joint for 10 minutes, I think either the neck heel or the body pocket was CNCed thinner or deeper. Is there such a thing as shrinking neck heel/body? I only know about shrunk pickguard.

The neck date and model is different to the body but that does not bother me much if the neck pocket on all JS model are the same. Are they? This is not a hand crafted master builder process. It's precision CNC and what I think precisely happen was the Ibanez Fujigen machine operator keyed the wrong program? The QC over there didn't even play test checked this? Do Ibanez themself even have their own guitar tester?
You can forget about the store checking it because as long as it has a QC passed tag, its fantastic. The only time one of a so called in house Ibanez expert touches a JS model is when they’re trying to sell you one. These days you can’t trust anyone you think is a professional in any field, including this writer too. Bedebah sungguh perilaku Ibanez!

Yes sir, I admit I don't build guitar from blanks of wood but I can sure point out what's wrong with a guitar. If the flaw is beyond my ability, I would direct a client to the experts. We have GG Pro, Tham, Guitar Workshop Ampang, The Guitar Hospital etc. Those folk does excellent work. I would like to notify fellow readers that I’ve took down the word PROFESSIONAL that may have been use in associate to my work. I’ve learn for the past three years that this word gets abuse by many. This writer had found out the actual meaning of the word is above his capability. Therefore I just do any work based on my knowledge and opinion. It’s also just to be on the safe side of things and fair to the real pro too.

Look at how many D'addario pack layered as neck shim I had shoved in the pocket. I lost count how many I've used. Then and only then an optimum everything could be achieved. Maybe one day this guitar will visit a professional luthier to get a proper cut wood as shim. But still, we all know where the fucked up originated from. Are there many out there like this? I don't know, but looking at Ibanez Fujigen CNC router table (awaiting permission from picture owner to post here), maybe one of the routing bit tool at the milling head had stuck out a bit? Comparing the bridge difference between JS1000 and JS2000 hinted what I think would be a mismatch of neck and body at the factory? That has to be why! 
Is a neck exchange applicable? Ibanez? Fujigen? Anyone? So many questions that will never see a reply. Poor us consumers’, we got screwed for no reason. Well now you know why some JS1000 falls short of comfort. Here's a clue, if your JS is made in 2008. Don't delay, check today!

Before I end this post. My fellow blog readers, please do thorough guitar body checks and neck sighting before any purchase. This apply to ALL price bracket. I know from experience that Ibanez does not give a fuck after their product exit the door. The JS flagship series is not a few hundred ringgit GIO.

Manufacturers, its going to be 2019 soon so guitar quality should not be a hit and miss thing.

Thank you
yustech





4 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

wow, that aforementioned GIO might be a good one

YusTech said...


yes, when it needed a piece or two shim. Better if none needed. Straight not snake neck of course.

metal brain asylum said...

perghhhh. ini mmg sadis.

YusTech said...

Ya, setuju. Yang jadi mangsa pembeli. Yang happy happy goyang dua jari, pembuat dan penjual.