26 February 2019

Michael Kelly Element 4Q

I come to a point in this repair life where some gears that perceived to be good can be bad in reality because of the manufacturing process. This is specially true when it involved wood in instrument making. The fuck up would always come from where less time was spent in the production line. We all understood time is money but bad reputation will definitely cause you to loose more money. I'm not a guitar builder but below are pretty much what I understood from my school. University of Youtube.
 Wood drying needs time because you don't want the wood to warp or break after. Sanding needs time because you want the grain to stay firmly intact. Color finishing needs time to sip in and cure. Fingerboard radiusing needs time to better accommodate the following fretting process . Fretwork and leveling needs time because you don't want the bass to buzz in the store or on my bench.
 The problems would always comes from under-trained hands at the QC line. I always thought our brethren at this section of the plant could setup the instrument better than us third party tech. I always thought they have expensive straight edge and specially made tools provided by the factory. I always thought they would have impartial decision when clearing of flagging instrument before it leaves the factory. I always thought they see to it that the neck could be adjusted straight without broken buzz then relief it a bit for shipping.
 I therefore need to confess to all my readers that what you read here only applies to what repaired here. If I find a particular model is good, I cannot vouch for the rest. From the messy QC job in the end of the day, we techs get paid by the owner for cleaning up factory shit uneven fretwork. Keep doing what you're doing and Thank you Michael Kelly.


Thank you
yustech


No comments: