27 February 2019

Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active 4



I had service one of this in 2017. I was corrected by a comment-er where that model is actually a stock passive model from Warwick. Thank you reader's for the correction.
The one here is a corvette basic 4 active. It was sent in to for inspection and/or possible repair. It is an earlier version with the generic bridge. 2005 to be exact.
 I was told by the owner that some idiot had attempted to repair this. The attempt failed close to the point of faulting the pickups itself.
What happened was the other genius had wired the battery plus/minus straight to the pickups at the blend pot. This made the battery become hot. Good thing the owner sensed it and disconnect the battery. My guess the pickups coil and blend carbon track had heat up as the battery did. Any longer the pickup would have imploded. Of course you won’t know it due to the epoxy resin of the pickup.


What can I tell about idiots in this country? Claiming to know everything when they're don't. To be honest, it's not shameful to admit lack of knowledge on any particular subject. I always tell this to my clientele over the phone. Phrases like "I'll see what I can do", "I have to search for the schematic online" etc are second nature to me now. If you not sure about something, leave or wire it to how you found it. Next time I see shit like this, I'll politely ask for it to go back to go back to where it came off. He touched it, therefore he must owned it!
 After I did a full inspection, it seems China had their share of mcgyver in their plant too. These fuckers seem to think all pots are the same. As long as it turns, it’s right. The stock pots value do not match the official drawing. For example, The Vol pot is 500k with treble some more. Lol WTF! Each of the Bass and Treble pot is 100k. Haha. But to be fair it's not far off. The wires to the bass pot was cut short making it to switch places with Treble pot. Lucky our local genius didn't snip the wires because the color codes doesn't match the schematic either old or new. The only correct pot is the blend pot (25k) but it has cracking problems. After my experience with a fucking Lazada seller, I'm not going to order it anytime soon. It's going to be a contact cleaner and rolling it back and forth to engage. The frets buzzes after 12th fret. The neck angle was wrong. The neck pocket was CNCed too deep.
While cleaning the bass, I dip the trus rod cover in soapy water to clean. Little that I know the chrome plating on the Warwick font dissolved and disappeared. How ironic was this when I admonished others to not be a mcgyver and here I'm fucking up a client Bass. Hey, do as I say not I do. As compensation for my accidental fuck up, I replaced the Vol pot to 25k. Good thing the owner was very understanding. He just wants his bass to work at the highest order while I want it to work and clean to the up most order. What can I say, we all are mcgyver at some point or circumstances in life. That's that then. Oh ya, dear local mcgyver. Keep up the good work and thank you.

Long live Mcgyver
yustech



No comments: