1 April 2019

Goodwill from across

I've been wanting to own a real bench scope ever since I touched one in school. Back then our science lab had a bunch of Leader Cathode Ray Oscilloscope (CRO). I can't remember the model. It had a lot of rotary and push switches. Some of the knobs have secondary push pull function like guitar pots. Without a model number and prices with shipping still north of USD200, the search for that Leader scope never came to pass.
I bought my very first scope on 7thJan 2010. A Velleman HPS10SE. It's a single Channel 10Mhz handheld scope. Sometime a DMM can’t tell you much, therefore a scope has the aptitude to show volts and speed. I just noticed the Velleman display looks like the old Nokia snake game, however it does the job fine with numeric read out. The Velleman is a solo channel scope. Due to its floating ground nature. It will continue to be my shop slogger. I think I’ve gotten away with many magic smoke situation with it. Unknowingly of course.
I'm not a qualified engineer in explaining what these equipment do. I only know that they are essential for audio troubleshooting work. The people in YouTube said so. For my part it would justifies my service rate adjustment too. Hehe.
On the bench are an Analog and Digital Oscilloscopes, two Function Generators and a Frequency counter. Many folds of capability and buttons from my Velleman. What is an Oscilloscope? Honestly I don't know where to properly begin. In short, I only know it’s a sick amp pulse or signal detector like the one in a hospital. It's use to see whether a gear is dead or OFF. What is a Function Generator? I’m unsure what it is actually but I've used a Signal and Audio Generator when I was in technical school. I hope those Function Generator can do what Audio or Signal Gen does. Well… he he. As for the Universal Counter. Well let just say it was too cheap to be ignored. I recalled using a Uni Counter to check and align tape speed when I was in serving the Consumer Appliances Electronic sector. When time permits, I will do a dedicated entry for each item or at least a tear down.
I think these equipment came out from a Uni or Research Facility. All are from the 90s in working condition but I am mentally prepared if any of it breaks down.

Hence, this above purchase consist of a 9 years envisaging plus 6 month of eBay searches, planning(and re planning) and 83 email correspondence to conclude. This writer wish to thank theguitaraddict and team SG (Mac,Mohamad and Syahid) for waving the toll and petrol from Singapore to meet and deliver them to me in Tampoi Johor. The meeting, conversation and treated food was so good that I forgot to take out my phone. Now that’s quite rare nowadays. 

Come to think of it although I didn't win anything from Keysight Scope giveaway 2018/19 and losing bids on several past eBay stuff. New acquaintance is certainly the best deal. Allah is indeed the best planners therefore Yustech Guitar & Bass Solution is in debt to the hospitality by the people above exactly two weeks ago today. God willing we'll meet again :)

Thank you 
Yustech



2 comments:

subversion.sg said...

Salam tuan, it's been a pleasure to meet. Taking that opportunity to strenghthen sillatul-rahim more than anything else. Sometimes all this online dealings & faceless conversations get in the way of good opportunities to foster ties. Politically, our countries are not in the best of times but our friendship is definitely politics-free. If there's anyone who deserves good gear for the job- it's you, tuan! Wishing you a good April ahead leading to a barakah Ramadan- God willing!

YusTech said...

Thank you and same to sir.