24 August 2018

Fender Jazz Bass S1



This bass came in for setup.Base from fender frontline digital pdf at issuudotcom. its a Fender Jazz Bass with S1. The initial complaint was fret buzz and height problem.


I dismembered the bass for full analysis. The nut at the butt hole was driven in deeper than usual. I'm guessing the nut had reached its thread limit on the rod thread which made its purpose redundant. I know this is trouble. I know if I put any clockwise turn to the nut I'll break something. Have I told that I have broken bass neck in the past? Wait, I think I did. Forget I brought that up.


Anyway there's two solution for me to choose. Either I forsake the job or find a another way around it. Owing to the current bass condition are several fret buzz after the 12th fret. I think this symptom is call the rising tongue by some people. It's sounded funny when I first heard it, I thought it was a made up BS by some tech. If it's up to me, I would've given it a more technical or straight forward name like e.g. Compressed Heel Effect or just plain Butthurt Syndrome.


To address the Butthurt Syndrome I would not want to resolve to the Stewmac #621X tool. Main reason was the tool price itself. Ridiculously steep. In theory I figured if I put some sort spacer before the nut. It would allow some room for the nut to work the neck straight.


I head out to a nearby motobike shop behind my workshop to see whether they have something circular that could fit my theory. I didn't expect anything that would be of such use. I figured I put up my stupid face and ask around. They were helpful plus kind enough to show me some tiny spacer they used on bikes. I ordered a bag of what I think would fit and it does fit the butt hole nicely. Just 3 pieces was enough to create a good coupling. Neck became straight. Butthurt Syndrome cured with plenty of spacers left for future use too. Thank you kind people of GGR Machine. By the way that picture above was before I put the spacer in. Forgot to snap one after.

The stock output jack were generic. I swap that out for Switchcraft of course. I leveled the frets and set it nicely. With that completes the work on this bass.


Thank you
yustech




No comments: