30 May 2018

DIY sustainer from across the Malacca Straits


 Some of you may remember this LTD from a tech tips many moons ago. Its the one that I rant about how shitty the stock trem was and how good were the replacement is with some minor routing needed of course.

Its back on the bench again requiring a setup and sustainer kit installation. The sustainer was provided by the client. Do not ask me where to buy it and how much. I don't know.


I couldn't tell you much about the brand as there was no brand name stamp on it. My guess would probably be from across our Malacca Straights. The circuit board looks DIY but clean.  The trimmer is to adjust the magnetic oscillation gain sensitivity. Turning it to 11 gets you more sustain with some tiny noise to go along with it. There's no buffer in the board,just the sustainer circuit alone.


The driver pickup consist of what I think just magnet and some wires. I don't know how many turns of wires was used. Seriously I thought about copying studying the PCB. It should probably be not more than MYR30 worth of parts to make but then how do I make the driver unit? A dead end for me indeed. I think I'll just wait till someone from Aliexpress sees this and decide to make this cheaper and sustainable. I know they can.

A blank copper pcb was cut to shape and use as the base for the driver. The designer was quite resourceful I must say. I also think the designer is a teenager from the Made in USA sticker. I'm sure he's in some sort of identity and pride crisis. Buddy, its not about where its made,its about taking pride of your work bloody fool. Oh ya one more thing you bloody fool,  please include all detailed connection points in your diagram. What I politely meant by that is please fucking draw the switches,the driver and the PCB showing connections going between all of them. Those 3 fucking color print just don't cut it cause who knows some idiot out there e.g. me may have bought this, took it out to put it into another guitar but finds few wires broke off here and there hence I don't know where's the head and tail of things/wires so I don't know where to locate or contact you Mr. Made in USA as there are 300 million of you in America that must've be pissed to be link with something that is not your doing in the first place so that one fucking teenager could make easy money without warranty nor spec sheet using a circuit that must've came from a forum because someone in there felt that the real deal is too expensive which I have to agree a bit. Wow! everyone can do huh? Well I too, why not. So please sir, Mr Teenager who ever you are. Get to know paint if not photoshop from YouTube and draw it right in future will you!

You call this drawing? Where's the rest of it?




On another note I don't think asbestos(what ever that material is) is good for screw holding so I enlarged the mounting holes and soldered an M3 brass threaded insert. The default screws and nuts  fixture method it came with looked ugly and unpractical for me to agree with. I would say the wires coming out from the driver was position badly as its being pinch at the wall of the neck pickup cavity. I wish it was relocated under the driver itself. Yes I would suggest that.


Along with the sustainer installing is also a bridge pickup change. An EMG was provided to replace the default pickup. You can ask me where to buy it.


Before I hand route the cavity for the switches,I did a trial dry run with the passive stock pickup. Everything runs fine, I thought it would behave the same with the EMG later on. It turns out the sustainer refuse to share its power source with the EMG or anything else. It did that with a very loud annoying squealing. I added a second battery to power both the sustainer and EMG discretely. Good thing that there were space for it.

That's it then till next entry

Thank you
yustech








No comments: