29 July 2018

Marshall JVM PEDL-00044




This Marshall PEDL-00044 was made to compliment the JVM410C. This foot controller has a malfunction FX switch which is the one numbered 6 on the panel. Obviously somebody thought all switches are made the same as those in the stompbox world( well most of them). By feel I notice a difference when comparing the mechanical load between the odd one to the rest.


 Upon opening I notice a 3PDT latching switch was used. A momentary switch type should've been use in the first place. As looking for a genuine replacement would be a near impossible task(over here at least) I had resort to using a Carling switch copy that has the same mechanics. Yes, its made in China but it will do for now. However the push feel of the cheapo Carling SPST is in fact smoother than all the stocks neighbouring to it. I'm unsure whether the stock one has deteriorated up to the point that it could put a hole in my foot every time I step on them but then again that was my personal experience not the owner. Maybe there's a shoes suggestion somewhere in the manual itself I do not know.


You may have noticed I did not use the term footswitch but foot controller instead. This is because this is NOT a foot switch but a foot controller(my definition at least). A foot switch is a footswitch when the switch is solely responsible in switching what ever you may want to switch without any intermediate electronics in between switching it for you. An example of a foot switch is the common 1 or 2 channel amp foot switch or the old mechanical typewriter.


This Marshall PEDL-00044 uses the switch as a pulse activator(for a lack of a better words) to the arduino like board in there that will send on or off directive to the solid state switcher relays inside the amp. I bet there are many in there.  Each switch of the foot controller is assign to a different pulse generator that was program in the ATMEL flash chip. A good example is your computer keyboard where when you type a letter or number. The action keyed will then be translated to binary which would be displayed on your screen. I hope I could understand what I wrote. LOL


I would like to not further confuse myself( and you too) with my un educated gibberish jargon explanation of this Marshall foot controller technology there for I gradually end my composition by saying due to the condition of the other five stock switches, it'll be no surprise that this foot controller will make another visit to my bench soon.


Before I go off I would like to commend Marshall for choosing the normal mono 1/4 inch connector(guitar cable) to operate this PEDL-00044 over a multipin din type or the RJ45. A lesser hassle for home or professional users goes a long way. My thumbs up to Marshall engineers.


under control
yustech


No comments: