3 August 2018

Line 6 X3 Live



Before many of you say "wtf yus,I thought you won't accept Line 6 repairs!" okay,okay, please read my reason. So the guy call me up asking if I could have a look at his X3 live, I mean to his defence, he couldn't have possibly read all of my past post about that. Who does anyway? I remember a complaint made by an English man about my write up. It goes something like this "it has no punch and I couldn't understand it".


Of course yours truly won't be bothered by a person who's been living in a bubble his whole life. How about he tries some Bahasa Melayu for a change. I tell him this though. It's the easiest language to speak and write. It's the only language I know on earth where the vowels sounds as it's supposed to every time all the time. You don't have words pronunciation conflicting the spelling e.g.Cut is Kat,Cat is Ket. Put is Poot not pat, but is bat, but then bat is bet which will sound like bed in some parts of Asia where he would pronounced it as Eisha.



I digress. One day I'll put a sticky label up there telling what product I don't accept for repair.
Coming to this Line 6, the complaint was no sound and sometime if you're lucky it will go to tuner mode after several long step on the foot switch I mean foot controller.
I ordered a bunch of tactile switch (red one) but they arrived different from the actually picture on their website. See, even renowned component companies cuts corners today. LOL


So I nip off the tactile top and it fits great. Looks the same after well almost. I did replaced all 12 as precaution. Save the owner 11 times of his future visits to my workshop. Time is money, at least his money to me. LOL.


But the X3 Live did have sound from the day it came in until it left my workshop. I check-out Line 6 forum for tips or whatever and it turn out these kind of problem relates to the DSP and its surrounding area which are impossible to solder without a 36X Zoom soldering microscope. Maybe I need those someday, thumbs up China for many low to high ranges offered but anyway most of the answers in the forum suggest sending it in to Line 6 mother ship. Do the math, what's the time frame and repair/shipping/handling/insurance cost from Malaysia to USA and back? It's a long term gain if Line 6 were to fucking train the distributor tech dept. about the proper tools, its complexity and know how on fixing Line 6 own fucking products. Sure sounds like I’m admonishing a China company. Well at least they’re getting better biennially while a particular American company(which is now owned by Yamaha Japan) keeps telling us to abandon the old models while at the same tine trying too hard to shove new products into our throat? Sounds like Apple too ei?  I guess that's that then.


Oh ya one more. The X3 live was quite dirty so I dissemble it cleaning the metal and plastic parts in my sink. Is this safe to do? I don't know. I just do what's natural. However do not do this if you think you might break something or unable to put it back together.

Actually there's a dead Line 6 Spider Valve 112 laying here for a while now, yes I lied again. So stay tune for more reliability issues with design for SMD/SMT technologies. Indeed I will put to the test the efficiency and cost of sending a board to Line 6 mother-ship.

Thank you
yustech




5 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

Remember my Pod HD300 case?

Dijual sebagai "barang rosak" dengan harga 1/3 daripada harga asal. Tuan baru cuba baiki dengan re-flash firmware, lepas tu dah boleh pakai. Masalah dengan firmware sahaja, bukan hardware. I did factory setting before, but not re-flashing it, bummer~

Tapi tak mengapa, dana-dana hasil jualannya digunakan untuk memperolehi Boss GT-1 sebagai pengganti \m/

YusTech said...

Re-Flash? ini suatu ilmu yang saya akan google dengan syarat ianya tidak memerlukan perkakasan yang aneh/khas.
Terima kasih atas kongsian dari anda. Adapun begitu saya masih merasa meluat pada syarikat Line 6 tapi tidak sekali penggunanya.

P.S. ingatan saya pun mesti di re-flash sekali sekala . Mudah lupa pelajaran lampau.

Pertanyaan - Saya kini tidak terima email notifikasi bila ada komen di blog. Selalu kena periksa di blog. Adakah ia berlaku pada anda?

Ijau D. Koceng said...

Ya, re-flash firmware, sama ada dengan firmware lama atau versi baru (if available/provided by Line 6). Sama macam update flash BIOS pada motherboard PC. Reflash firmware Pod tak perlukan perkakasan khas, cuma sambungan dengan PC guna USB cable.

Ya sama, tidak ada lagi notifikasi melalui emel.

Unknown said...

dude can you share a photo of the diodes please

YusTech said...

This unit had left my workshop. No more pictures kept. My apology.