19 September 2018

Jay Turser JT-410


I remember this brand and model. We used to sell a bunch 12 years back. I think the selling price at that time was MYR250 or so. Yes, I did in many occasion, purposely miss pronounced it as 'Jay Turner'. My apology to Jay Turser company. To be honest, personally, Turner sounded better than Turser. Turser sounds jewellery related. Turner sounds quick, articulated and guitar affirming. By the way, any info about this model had been lost to posterity.
Anyway, this one was bought by my colleague in 2006/07(sold to the current owner in 2009), it had some light to bad fret buzz here, there and everywhere. I didn't know how to refret or level frets back then so I had set its height so just to clears the buzz area (especially the worst one). As I recalled, there was frequent stringing/un-stringing before I got the shim thickness right. You could snap the wounded G string if you wind and unwind too many times. I did have some stewmac tool then, not for fret job though but barely enough for guitar setup. I laughed every time one of my old repair work comes to mind.Hehe.
This time I made sure this JT/410 received the proper treatment it long overdue. I leveled the problematic frets, took out my old saddle daddario shim, sanded and re radius the saddle top, and re-strung it with elixir bronze 10-47. The guitar now plays better than it did 12 years ago.
I wish I could confront and correct all my pre 2011 shoddy or half done guitar/bass/amps/pedals work. That would be like replaying and unlocking secret medals in 'Namco Ace Combat 2'. To tell you the truth, this work had left a better feeling and some emotional achievement inside. What a day this was.

Old hard mission completed.
Yustech




No comments: