16 November 2018

Homax UX-99


It's been a long while since I put my hands on this realm of consumer electronics. Generally, this realm is where companies sometime cuts corners to make the most money at. Sometime which means all the time. We are heading towards a future where the slogan 'cheap is best' or 'why repair when you could buy new'. My concern when working with unfamiliar consumer electronics is the internal work space in a particular product. It could be too cramp to put a finger or too little and tiny to be repair human hands. There's also the consideration of the products price factor. If it's below 300 then I would tenderly deny to even do a diagnostics. My troubleshooting rate is already near that excluding parts. Ha ha. Culture demographics and GDP seems to have a large influence on consumers’ decision. Your local ma and pa shop is beginning to be a thing of the past. No more 'Cash is king'


I've seen some products that were made in the 70s, 80s and 90s. The external built itself is a statement of quality. The maker also managed to educate the public about it too. I remember in the 90s, I asked friends some random question e.g. what stereo they using at home. Their reply would always followed by facial confidence. Yes, Electronics companies back then have the ability to gain confidence and proud ownership from consumers'.
Now for the past 20 years that mentality had successfully shift to "cheapest is best'. Physical controls dials are replaced with digital level controls, remotely from the sofa it has to be. I bet some of us do not even touch the knobs on our guitars. I'm not surprise if one day some  of us players tells the manufacturer to omit those rotating volume and tone spinamadoos for just two flickemadothat on/off switch.

This Homax UX-99 also known by some other slap on brand name in other region had just a minor problem. The main power cable had been pinch at the wall till it spark. I replaced the whole main cable with a new one.

The built inside is surprising modular. A dedicated MPEG pcb behind the CD transport. The main power amp board uses high power discrete components but I disliked the SMPS. It looks to have the ability to put out 50 to 80 watts. I also like how use a hollow rectangle aluminium was used with a fan blowing the heat front to back.

I asked the owner why he hasn’t switch to digital format yet. He told me CDs still the best after Vinyl and Cassettes. I felt ashamed hearing that because the last time I spin my disc collection was more than a decade ago.

Ashamed hi-fi user
yustech



3 comments:

Abdul Aziz Sanford said...

I'm glad you're using your electronics knowledge to help other people. Two thumbs up!

YusTech said...

Kind words Cikgu. Thank you.

Abdul Aziz Sanford said...

Most welcome, sifu