4 August 2018

Fender Squier Vintage Jaguar Modified HH



I can't remember whether I've come across this model in the past before. It's as good as any other guitars in its class. What class might that be I leave it to you.But the good result was only after a good setup plus correcting the neck angle, I'm glad I didn't have to hack some wood off the neck heel. A couple of carefully cut daddario pack as shim did the job.


I think the default neck angle were intentionally done so it does not threat the above tier. Yes, me and my conspiracy theory but I or we don't mind it just as long the mess don't go beyond that e.g. the heel were CNC thinner than it should or the neck pocket were CNC deeper than it needs to be or the neck was un properly dried for assembly where it resulted in random humps and low spot on the fingerboard. I'm talking about another guitar actually. Its made in Japan some more. Sorry I get off topic easily. Those has nothing to do with this Squier. Yes, no worries.

I was also intrigue by the slap on Danaelectro like bridge. Quite un Fendery to my eyes. But then again that's a subjective opinion indefinitely.


Going to the electronics. Each pot is a consolidated tone and volume in one. Dual gang Dual shaft or Concentric is the technical term I think. It's basically wants to diversify as like the LP but in a different arrangement. The front one is master neck volume/tone and the back is master bridge vol/tone. Clearly one had chosen this one due to its controls geographical simplicity over the LP style, among other reasons too.

The bottom larger black tone knobs neck/bridge has a many clicks/bumps/detent when I rolled them back and forth. Generally in guitars or basses the most detent you get is only one. Normally in the centre. Hence this must be some high end custom made to spec pots from either Alps,CTS,Noble or Bourns. Wow but seriously in reality when one is buying a guitar, one would be pulled by the obvious, like the shape,color,specs,cosmetic etc. Then and only then one would like to touch and feel it in one's hands. I think initially not many would touch or feel this compared to a Strat. I say the desire ratio of this to any Strat is 1 : 9. My point is unless the guy knows about expensive actuator type controls like found in high end HiFi's or rack equipment. He would think both bottom pots has some even/odd number of rotation flaws. So why on earth would these pots be in the drawing board in the first place? Congratulation, another one just went for the Strat/Tele next to it.


 But I was wrong and that happens a lot lately. Turn out the multiple detent is a cleverly engineered with several holes drilled evenly apart under the tone knobs with a springy washer cum triggering lever mating with each holes. Looks primitive but very smart indeed. The pot itself do not have any internal detent. While I praise the knobs engineering idea, I'm afraid I still stood by my 5th paragraph opinion. Enough said.


Walaupun begitu. What happen when(not if) one or both of these concentric pots goes flaw. Well revert back to the conventional 1 master vol and 1 master tone of course. I have a feeling parts is NWA (Never Were Available)?


 One thing I have to criticize Fender (Yes,I always aim for the head). Offset shape is still okay but the offset hole drilled for the output jack plate showed either your Contracted QC were sleeping on the job or had turn a blind eye. This is certainly not funny to me what more to the paying consumer. I wonder how many more out there that has offset screw holes. I bet there's more than one?

Thank you
yustech





No comments: