11 March 2019

Tool Talk - Wrenches.

This entry was meant for another bass repaired. Given the circumstances the writer wish not to bore with similar low notes. Let's talk tool, mine in particular. A poor man show off, a little story and some rants.I love them, I don't know why. Well who doesn't, especially the affordable ones and how essential it is for work.
Sex drivers, socket drivers whatever it is, it's all good stuff to me but never think for a minute that you will complete all of it like a PC game. No sir for you will do it again and again. It's all about stages. For example at stage one, it's buying only the size need for work. Stage II is when you need to add few more just in case. Stage III is when for no reason, you want to complete the Metric and Imperial rainbow from a particular make and model. Stage IV is when you want several rainbows on the shelf while hunting down for used, vintage or discontinued tools, another name for stage IV is also known as a collector/hoarder. Stage IV carriers can impede us bargain hunter from owning used tools that were once expensive when new.
I recently upgraded to stage II. The upgrade was inevitable as it really bothers me when I don't have the appropriate size. By the way I know about those 99 in 1 box interchangeable tool bit type. Yes, they are convenient but to me it is an inconvenient in disguise. I do not envy swapping drive bit because the bit itself isn't that much bigger than a guitar pick, I sure loose them easily. I prefer something that permanent off the factory. It must have its own handle with integrity and accountability. At this age I prefer looking at a colour or embossed/stamped number on the tools than looking at 99 plural bits that look alike with each other. I feel in the long run, I'm well reimburse by such singular tool design. Furthermore I want to be seen by my customer's to be professionally presented and not a cheap skate. lol
My recent pasar road adventure fruited those yellow handles socket wrench before you. I do feel it would've been nicer if it was all from the same make but the different make is actually a convenient in disguise. At least I know what I'm grabbing at first sight. As far as guitars and amp work concern, I believe the collection is complete. From now on, come whatever musical gear you are through my door for I am battle ready to take it apart or to tight it up. As long as it's Metric of course. Hehe.
However I've yet to complete my Imperial socket wrench. These aren't commonly use in this part of the world. It only gets use when I dismantle something from USA, Liberia and Myanmar (imperial standard countries). The only local place I know that sells imperial size socket wrench is Ace Hardware. By the way thank you for opening a few here. I have to confess I had made an unavoidable mistake buying socket wrench one at a time before I realised that the one or two I missed are inside a set on Ace Hardware shelf. Those can’t be sold as loose and its sure is damn expensive to be doing it again now. Well what could I do, at the time, when you need it then you need it.
However I like to point out that some Metric and Imperial can crossover to the oppose territory. For example 7/16 can work on 11mm nuts. 14mm can work 9/16 nuts. I don't condone this but it works.
What about sex drivers? Why not. Those are pretty too. Did you know old Kahler Tremolo uses odd size socket fasteners? Good thing one time I was prepared. I hope the Metric vs Imperial war will end soon. Technology would move at a congruent tangent. No more conversion chart, app and less use of the caliper. Wouldn't it be better?Look below to understand what I mean.

In the rest of the world.

A Kilometer is 1000meters, 1 meter is 100cm, 1cm is 100mm, 1mm is 1000micrometers, 1 micron is 1 atom?. Make sense doesn't it.

Meanwhile in USA, Liberia and Myanmar.

A mile is 8 furlongs, 1 furlong is 220 yards, 1 yard is 3 feet, 1 foot is 12 inch, 1 inch equals to half a thumb? Imagine the Olympics in imperial. Main event sprint final in 109.36 yards and etc.

You must think I'm anti imperial. NO, here’s my string height gauge. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.


Thank you 
yustech


2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

saya pun perlukan sex drivers :)

YusTech said...

Kesalahan ejaan telah saya kesan dari tapi dibiarkan sebagai penambah perisa entri. Hehe