1 December 2018

Thanks a lot bro, my pickup is broken now


Today, I want to bring your attention to the cute and clean sponges or pads installed by manufacturers inside and under your pickups.

Now in a production line, these pads are cheap and efficient. Unlike springs, pads don't fly off. Good!
However, these pads are not able to retain compression and extension. They have a tendency to take the shape of their surroundings, thus making future and frequent pickup height adjustment a hassle.

Danger can come if harder and thicker pads are installed. Excessive pickup lowering attempts would create warping at both ends of the pickup base resulting in a vertical pinching force to the bobbin(s).

The two pickups shown here are examples I've come across. One survived the pinching effect, so I simply replaced the stock pads springs. The other did not but was fortunately repairable. It only broke at one spot, though mind you the pinching effect can cause multiple wire breakage. In short, pads can be a pickup killer.

But anyway the above is just my opinion. If you know your guitar/bass has pads in them and you're a person that knows the limits of the pads pinching force than all is good. If you don't mind ruining your stock vintage/obsolete pickups then all the more power to you. There are many more pickup makers today then there were 30 years ago.

On another note, I think resin/epoxy filled pickups are more resilient towards such forces unless the one with the screwdriver is a gorilla. He he.

By today's standard, I think any manufacturers refusing to incorporate springs into the installation of their pickups cannot be called efficient but instead, irresponsible.

Thank you
Yustech



5 comments:

Abdul Aziz Sanford said...

Thank you for highlighting a critical issue that has been swept under the carpet for a long time. I agree with all your observations. I've had to replace these useless pickup sponges so many times that I've lost count. And let's not forget Fender's silicone pickup tubing. I love how it turns black, gummy, and crumbly hehehe. Long story short, springs are the most reliable way to get the job done!

YusTech said...

Good to know I'm not alone to the matter.
Ah yes, those lovely tubings. They are indeed beautiful after few years.
No doubt, spring is king. Thank you for your invaluable input Cikgu.

Abdul Aziz Sanford said...

Most welcome, sifu. Once again, I'm really glad your highlighting this issue.

YusTech said...

Where got sifu Sir, there's many whom are more knowledgeable out there.

Abdul Aziz Sanford said...

Anyone who has taught me something valuable is automatically my sifu, hehehe. And you have, over the years, taught me lots of valuable stuff. Don't be shy, lah :)