23 January 2019

Marshall MG100DFX


I don't believe I've given my public opinion about the first gen Marshall MGDFX series. Since there's one on my bench, I think I'll give it now as honest as I could grammar it.
The MGDFX first came out in early 2000 I think. Marshall was not the first company to offer amp with built-in effects. Johnson and Peavey were among the earlier companies I read that had attempted this. Marshall were already enjoying years of good sales with historical advantage to speak by itself. They do not have to make 45 models new a year to tell the world that their engineers have brains.
 The MG series sent mixes reaction to the guitar community. Some were exited by Marshall move into diversifying effects into guitar amps while some reacted "but it's made in India", even I was suck into that sentiment. I have nothing against my bros in India but you know how it is when you're young. We should blame the British for this. They did occupied 2/3 of the world and doctored our perspective to look to the west even when its crap.
 Moving on, this is one of the model that sounds good honestly. It doesn't sound like the Marshall I know. Normally with Marshall (especially the England made one), their gain and the bass stage are a bit on the stingy side. They would have this knob call "CONTOUR" that confused me. The only "CONTOUR" I care about are on my guitar neck and body. Later I found out its actually a Middle Freq in reverse. What the ..... Anyway I have always thought all Marshall sounds best in all hands but mine. When it doesn't sound good then what’s the point of me keeping my guitar plug into any amp. I wouldn't buy a Marshall unless I could flip it for cash or it is this one. This MGDFX was the only model I noticed right now that do not sound like a typical Marshall but also sounding good at the same time.

Take a look at the DSP board. It’s tiny and is positioned parallel in the schematic (googled that,its free info now) therefore it’s not being a tone hinderer or become a dam that would limit the flow of analog solid state goodness. The later ones with buttons and blinking LEDs are truthfully awful to say the least. It’s like they had roped in Line 6 engineers from the sinking ship.
 As it stands, is this MG100DFX a good amp? My personal opinion used to be maybe but now yes. "Maybe" because then in early 2000 I never tried any amps that rivals of the MGDFX series.

"YES" because the old MG Series actually sounds and behaves better than MGFX, MGCFX, MGHFX or whatever MOFOFX it is now.
Oh yes, what's the repair story here? This amp came in for servicing. Its missing two knobs. Bought genuine Marshall knobs. The new knobs looks more golden than the old ones. I purposely put each new knob at a strategic spot. I hope you or anyone using this amp understood my logic.

Thank you 
yustech


3 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

tried the 2nd or 3rd gen MG with 2x12 circa 2013-2015 (zaman 36 Studio), maybe MG102DFX nama modelnya
1) direct amp = awesome
2) direct amp with overdrive = awesomer
3) multi-fx in-front clean channel = not recommended
4) multi-fx via effect loop (return) = acceptable

selalu bermasalah jika digunakan non-stop untuk beberapa jam, perlu ada buffer time untuk cool-down

YusTech said...

"multi-fx via effect loop (return) = acceptable"

In my opinion great tones from RETURN setup really depend on the external gear quality,pre-amp settings etc. The combo amplifier would only serve as a power amp and a cabinet. Just my two cent Tuan.

YusTech said...


"selalu bermasalah jika digunakan non-stop untuk beberapa jam, perlu ada buffer time untuk cool-down"

That is really a downside for long hours players etc despite the amp has a fan and thermal compound on the TDA7293 IC. I bet PC gamers choice cooling fan unit and thermal paste are the solution? Or maybe liquid cooling? Hehe