5 March 2019

OFF means ON and NO means YES? The tone knob.

Here's something to ponder upon. Concerning the tone knob on the electric guitar. Its common knowledge when we want the tone IN, we roll up (clockwise) the tone knob right? Wrong and NO, we actually turned the tone OFF. To turn ON the tone, we need to roll down (counter clockwise) the knob so that the filter capacitor engages with the unwanted highs accordingly. Did anyone notice this? WTF right?

I remember questioning this myself many years ago but because I didn't write it down, I forgot about it for a solid 15 years or so.

What's 15 years compared to 60 years of deception misguidance. Hehe. I don't think anyone would change it now since we are already use to how it is hence things should remain astray for the next 60 years. In the meantime, I'm writing this just so I remember I’ve covered this topic. I will also try to remember to turn my tone up to 9.5 instead of 10. I want to give my tone cap a little work instead of none. Hehe.
This now leads to few more uncomfortable questions. Say I play a Les Paul will all knobs roll up, wouldn't that make those expensive bumblebee PIO caps inside redundant to the circuit? Did I misguide my clients too? Was it just a placebo effect? Should we now rewire them right or at least re stamp the tone knobs marker?  I have no answer to whether the filter cap has any effect when the tone is OFF (that's ON to you) or turning it ON (that’s OFF to me now) would equate to not having tone pot at all. I need to do some practical and presentable test for that. 
By the way, reverse numbered speed knobs are available online. What about for Strat? After 60 years, Sorry to say. None exist. Well I don't know. Maybe not yet, China? Wan Hung Low? Anyone?

Misguided tech
yustech




No comments: