9 April 2018

Godin LR Baggs



This as it is printed on the headstock is a Godin LR Baggs model. Quiet unusual to take another company's name to represent your bass model. I thought ESP's Seymour Duncan guitars was too odd enough.


It's a fretless bass so as expected this writer being a guitarist he is, struggled quite a bit to pin point the notes when playing. I notice the acoustic tones of this bass is unlike anything I heard from the fretless I had noodled in the past. It has a Zingy tone and it’s addictive. I can't explain it in words so that's that then.


Looking at the electronics corrosion, I'm told the bass was left in its case for 2 years (or more). The batteries were never taken out so the fermenting process had resulted the preamp board to become a block of AAA grade belacan.


I gave the board a thorough as I can clean up. No more belacanise in sight. I replaced the battery connectors and all electrolytic caps. It didn't show any sign of life. I notice the carbon tracks in all the sliders are diminishing. I emailed Godin to ask about replacement sliders. The reply was in short "we don't make this anymore so go away".



I think the belacan process could've degraded most of the unsealed components on the PCB like the caps and sliders. I do not know whether sealed components like film cap, IC, transistors and resistors too could be effected by corrosion.

I informed the bass owner through his sender that I wired the piezo directly to the output jack. I also conveyed that he should try to buy a new belacan preamp from L.R.Baggs..

My job done here

I love sambal belacan
yustech 




No comments: